Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Trying to get back on track

Time passes while I don't seem to be making any progress.  This month the only things I have achieved involve shopping - which is not something I do often, with the huge (HUGE!) exception of books.  Starting with which I am really enjoying the catalogue for the Picasso Portraits exhibition (see image above) at the National Portrait Gallery in London.  It is brilliant, pointing me at all the artists which influenced Picasso in particular cases.  Despite having been an ardent fan of Picasso for decades, and realising that he did plunder his own vast knowledge of previous - and contemporary artists, I had no real idea of how he jumped about from instance to instance.  This is one of those wondrous books which is an eye-opener, as well as being a great springboard into further looking and learning.
Another purchase is a big one: a relief press, well, a table top one.  After a bit of research online I came across the Blue Boy.  On my return from our trip I ordered one.  I unpacked it this morning, and hope to spend time getting to know it in the coming days.  I'm not exactly sure where it will live permanently (oh for a purpose built space ...), but meantime it can happily stay where it is till I get to know it better.
The third purchase was an indulgence brought on by extreme headcold misery.  This is the kind of behaviour I thought I had left behind years ago: buying stuff for which I have no immediate purpose.  And indeed this purchase - or part of it has reinforced that determination once more.  The linen threads are beautiful subtle colours, but of course what I had forgotten was that natural dyes are often fugitive.  There's a warning on the packet to keep the work made with them out of direct sunlight.  Sigh.  The cone is a fine yarn mix of silk and stainless steel, which I am curious to try at some point.

I should just have bought a book!

7 comments:

  1. I understand your frustration Olga, but having times when we are not very productive is part of the creative process - when you start working properly again, you will do so with renewed vigour, I am sure of that. You just need to be patient.

    Love the press, and look forward to seeing the results from using it.

    The exhibition at the National Gallery does look interesting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how clever of you to have bought and read the catalogue before viewing the exhibition (I assume that you will?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Eirene. I agree that life does have to be bitty at times, and it does help the flow times to feel good. Also, I have been pleasantly surprised to see how much I have managed to achieve this week after I wrote the post!
      I think that the press is going to be a good thing. My initial trials seem positive anyway.
      I do often buy an exhibition catalogue before visiting the exhibition, but not in this case. I will most likely not be going to see the Picasso exhibition. The catalogue in this case provides illustration of paintings that inspired him as well as illustrations of those paintings on show both in London and in Barcelona where the exhibition goes next.

      Delete
  3. I have kept returning to this post to look afresh at the hauntingly beautiful portrait of Olga you've shown here and to view that and the portrait of her painted 12 years later that are shown in the link you give. The contrast in styles is so extraordinary it takes the breath away even while we are so familiar with his later work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, Margaret, Picasso is the most inspiring, and exciting of artists, seemingly always having something astonishing to show.

      Delete
  4. A thought about the fugitive colours of the lovely linen threads ... they could be kept out of the light if they "lived" in a book format - or in a folding diptych that was kept closed when not being looked at. Private works for contemplation, rather than works kept on display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Margaret, I take it as a challenge. I am looking forward to the feel of the linen pulling through my fingers.

      Delete