Sunday, April 24, 2016

Delicate shadows

This garden chair is my most immediate view as I have breakfast, with the rising sun casting shadows which have often caught my eye.  Over several days of strong sunshine I noticed the 'hedgerow' of shadows that were cast, and I finally went out to photograph them before the chair is cleaned for summer seating.
Mosses are fascinating (not, as I hasten to say, that I know anything about them), and when in countryside I always spend a lot of time peering at tiny growths the miniature intricacy of which intrigues me.  If nothing else, they provided breathing spaces as I tramped across hillsides or bogs.  Nowadays the tiniest elements provide more than enough distraction as I stroll around while my husband does the tramping and climbing.
But, as ever, there is more than enough to intrigue, fascinate, and delight right on the doorstep.  If I were a serious photographer, the lens I would want is a macro one to try to capture tiny wonders.  On the other hand, I think that the context - the fact that they are so tiny is important.

2 comments:

  1. In the UK there's over a 1000 different species of 'bryophytes' ( which includes mosses). When I started working with on conservation programmes , I was enthralled by their beauty down the microscope, it opened up a whole new world of wonder. http://rbg-web2.rbge.org.uk/bbs/bbs.htm

    ReplyDelete